Sunday, January 22, 2012

Creamy Turkey Stew

It turns out that the weather in Southern Louisiana is more unpredictable than in Georgia! One week it's sunny and 70* and the next week it's highs in the 50's and freezing at night. So it's time for some more crockpot soup recipes!

Creamy Turkey Stew
from: Sandra Lee's "Money Saving Slow Cooking"

Ingredients:
1 1/4 pounds turkey breast cutlets, cut into strips (I used chicken, big surprise, but I already had some in the freezer, and opted to cut them into bite-size pieces rather than strips)
2 8oz packages sliced fresh mushrooms (of course I decided to leave these out since neither the hubs nor I like eating fungus)
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1 1/2 cups finely diced carrots and celery
1 cup frozen white corn kernels (I had to use sweet corn, couldn't find any white at the store)
2 cups chicken broth
1 can cream of potato soup
1 packet chicken gravy mix
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
salt and pepper
optional: cooked bacon and fresh flat-leaf parsley

Cooking Directions:
1. Stir together turkey, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, celery and corn in slow cooker. In separate bowl whisk chicken broth, soup, gravy mix and tarragon then pour into slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on high 4 to 6 hours.

3. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired.

(I apologize, I forgot to take a picture)

This turned out pretty tasty. I do think, however, it would have been better with turkey (but I'm not a huge turkey fan). I will have to remember this recipe around Thanksgiving, it would be great with leftover turkey!

It tasted just like beef stew, but with chicken! And it made great left-overs (which I am a BIG fan of). Thank you Sandra Lee!

No comments:

Post a Comment