Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crockpot Potato Soup

Confession: I'm falling in love with my Crockpot! Lately I've been working the closing shift at my job - which means I don't get home until 10pm. Way too late to make supper, even in this house. Consequently I've been scrounging the internet for tasty Crockpot recipes and I'm loving what I'm finding.

I get Better Homes and Gardens weekly recipe e-mails and this past week's was ALL about my new favorite dish. That's right, tons of new recipes created just for the Crockpot.

There were so many to choose from, I have a strong feeling that I will be returning to the website frequently this season for more meal ideas. But for this week I decided to try the Smashed Potato Soup. I'm a big fan of O'Charley's loaded potato soup so I was curious to see how this home-made creation would compare.

It was delicious! The consistency was a little thick, but that was 100% my fault. I went to work and left it cooking (hence why we all love our Crockpots!) and forgot to tell the hubs to turn it off once he got home. Soo it ended up cooking for a couple of hours too long, making it thicker than planned. But it was still very tasty. Also, I added sour cream and some more cheese (you can never have too much cheese) to my bowl.

It was like eating a loaded baked potato... soup style!


(Photo credit: Better Homes and Gardens)



Smashed Potato Soup

Ingredients:
3 1/2 pounds peeled and sliced potatoes
1/2 cup yellow and/or red sweet peppers chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

Cooking Directions:
1. In slow cooker combine potatoes, peppers, garlic and black pepper. Cover with chicken broth. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high for 5 hours.
2. Mash potatoes. Stir in half and half, cheese and green onions.


SO EASY and so yummy. But... I had to make the 2 steps into 1 because the hubs was going to be home before me and he likes ready to eat meals. So I added in all of my ingredients at once and let it cook on high for 5 hours and it turned out fine (until it kept cooking another 2 hours on high and all of the liquid cooked out!).

This will definitely be added to the recipe book and used again. and again. and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment