Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

We moved into our new house in Denham Springs this week which meant re-stocking the refrigerator. I was basically starting over from scratch so I decided to only buy the basics to get us through the week to help save a little money. Hence, no new exciting recipes this week.


But, I did try a new chicken pot pie recipe. Growing up, chicken pot pie was always one of my favorite meals and I have only cooked it once, maybe twice, since being married (aka the last year and a half). So I turned to Paula Deen and The Lady & Sons Too cookbook for the home made how-to of my tried and true favorite.






"Hurry Up Chicken Pot Pie"
serves 4-6


Ingredients
2 cups cooked chicken breast (I used 6 chicken tenderloins and shredded the meat)
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced (I skipped these because the hubs doesn't like them)
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup frozen green peas (I used half a can of green peas)
1 cup chicken broth
one 10 3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
Salt and pepper
1 cup Lady and Sons Biscuit Mix (I just used Bisquick)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter


Cooking Directions
1. Mix chicken, eggs, carrots and peas in casserole dish


2. Mix chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. Mix into the casserole dish and add salt and pepper.


3. Mix biscuit mix and milk and layer over the top of the casserole.


4. Drizzle butter over the topping. (This step is optional and not really necessary in my opinion. I only used 1/2 stick of butter)


5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until topping is golden brown.




In our house, you can't really go wrong with Paula Dean. Hubs loved this one so much he asked me to make it again a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment